Electrical stimulation (e-stim) is a safe and efficacious modality that can be used to treat a variety of conditions including pain reduction, neuromuscular re-education, strengthening, and edema reduction.
E-Stim is utilized by attaching self adhesive electrodes to the treatment area, through which electricity can pass and interact with the sensor and/or motor nerves, depending on the type of current your physical therapist chooses.
Electrical Stimulation provides a variety of beneficial healing effects, including:
• Reduce, eliminate, and/or control pain (both acute and chronic)
• Increase local circulation
• Decrease swelling
• Improve range of motion
• Reduce muscle spasm
• Provide biofeedback (aka improve body awareness)
• Improve motor coordination
• Provide neuromuscular re-education
• Prevent or reverse muscle atrophy (especially after prolonged immobilization, such as a limb being casted as a fracture heals)